In 1880 the Vicariate of the Punjab was erected by separation from the Vicariate of Hindustan, and was placed under the care of the Italian Capuchin Fathers. This Vicariate, with the establishment of the Hierarchy in India in 1886, was elevated to a diocese with the Episcopal See at Lahore, and made suffragan to the Archdiocese of Agra. Two years later it was entrusted to the Belgian Province of the Capuchin Order.
During the years the boundaries of the diocese underwent several changes, as various changes, as various areas were detached:
- 1887: The Rawalpindi Division and the State of Kashmir were taken away to form a Prefecture Apostolic of Rawalpindi.
- 1910: Certain western districts were ceded to the newly formed Archdiocese of Dehli/Simla, which became in 1913 the Metropolitan of Lahore.
- 1936: the Division of Multan, some adjacent districts and the State of Bahawalpur were detached to form the Prefecture Apostolic of Multan.
- 1938: Two districts adjoining the prefecture Apostolic of Rawalpindi were joined to it.
- 1952: After the partition in 1947 the Indian portion of the diocese was taken away to form a Prefecture Apostolic with headquarters at Jullunder, while the State of Jammu went into the formation of the Prefecture Apostolic of Kashmir.
- On April 23, 1994 Lahore became an Archdiocese
The Archdiocese of Lahore comprises the following civil boundaries: the whole of Lahore Division with the Districts of Lahore, Kasur, Sheikhupura and Nankana-Sahib. In the Gujranwala Division, the Districts of Gujranwala, Sialkot, Narowal and Hafizabad.